Well fried sukuma wiki recipe is a great accompaniment for ugali. Sukuma wiki recipe is the easiest meal to cook and it’s very nutritious. Furthermore, this recipe requires easy to find ingredients. If you are looking for the perfect sukuma wiki recipe, this is it!
Sukuma wiki is an easy way to incorporate eating more greens in your diet. Though it’s a long life partner for Ugali 🙂 , you can use it along other side dishes such as plantain or mashed potatoes to mention but a few.
If you didn’t know how to cook sukuma wiki before, by the end of cooking this sukuma wiki recipe, you be a pro.
Benefits of Eating Sukuma Wiki (Collard Greens)
- Anti-cancer properties: Sukuma wiki (collard greens) contain glucosinolates that offer protection against various types of cancer such as digestive tract and lung cancer.
- They offer antioxidants that protect your cells and your DNA against drastic damage that could interfere with normal cell activity and cause them to mutate eventually leading to cancer.
- Collard greens ( Sukuma Wiki) help to lower cholesterol levels by eliminating bile acids(fat) from the body.
- Sukuma Wiki is rich in Vitamin K, B vitamins, calcium and Vitamin A.
- These greens are an incredible source of dietary fiber. Whenever I feel bloated and constipated and eat a sukuma wiki recipe, I generously visit the toilet and solve my problem 🙂
- If you are embarking on a weight loss journey, you better include sukuma wiki in your diet because they are low in calories.
Sukuma Wiki Recipe (Collard Greens) Kenyan Style:
1 Bunch of Sukuma Wiki (Collard Greens), washed and chopped
3 Tomatoes diced
1 large Onion diced
2- 3 Royco or Maggi cubes
Salt to taste
¼ Pepper (optional)
Vegetable oil to Fry
Step 1: Heat oil in a cooking pot at low medium heat and fry the onions until soft
Step 2: Next, add in the tomatoes and fry until they form a thick paste. Add in salt, pepper and cubes.
Step 3: Take your chopped Sukuma wiki and add to the cooking tomato sauce.
Step 4: Cover the pot and simmer the Sukuma wiki for 5 minutes.
Step 5: After the 5 minutes, uncover and stir the Sukuma wiki well. Turn off heat.
Serve your sukuma wiki recipe. Enjoy 🙂